Programmatic Best Practices
How To Achieve Successful Campaign Outcomes With Addroid
1. Determine Your KPI
- Are you driving for clicks? i. Ensure your creative has a persistent and prominent call-to-action (CTA) ii. Ensure your CTA makes sense to the user and matches the video creative messaging
- Are you driving for brand lift? i. Ensure your video creative includes copy cards or caption text that catches the user’s attention as the initial ad video plays without sound ii. Ensure your campaign is configured to target each user with 5-10 banner views to achieve sufficient frequency
2. Optimize The Creative
- Create lengths that are optimized for the target browser i. Shorter video lengths for mobile targeted units (7-10 seconds) ii. Longer lengths for desktop targeted units (10-15 seconds)
- Create multiple end cards and rotate to A/B test messaging i. Build multiple JPEG end cards to test which CTA drives the most engagement
3. Understand Attribution
When an ad unit is analyzed by a DSP/trading desk prior to approval for real-time-bidding, the ad attributes are entered in a metafile that is referenced during the bid/clearance process. Addroid units are classified as “in-banner video”, and some publishers do not allow this format in all placements by default. For example, if an Addroid unit is run in an A/B test with a static ad, the static ad will likely clear for placements where the Addroid unit will not. Thus to run a true A/B test, the publisher list would need to be restricted to those partners that accept in-banner video. Most publishers that do not accept in-banner video as a default often will change their policy if contacted. If you have a particular publisher in mind where you must have your ads accepted, we suggest you contact that publisher directly and ask for an exception or policy change.
4. Align Your Placement Strategy
Not all programmatic inventory is created equal, and in order to achieve successful campaign outcomes, a placement strategy using Addroid ad units should consider the following:
- Select “Above the Fold“ inventory - As Addroid units are autoplay, and since most publishers have yet to implement progressive ad loading as the page loads, you will want to ensure users experience the entire video ad by purchasing inventory in the top portion of the page.
- Target based on device type - Ensure your mobile-optimized ads are targeted to mobile devices. Ads with shorter video lengths will load faster and perform better on mobile devices.
- Run a test buy - Running a short test buy will help to determine which partners perform the best. Many factors impact performance in the real world, from site design to seasonality, and running a small test buy will help inform your optimization around which partners are best for in-banner video units depending on your specific KPIs.